Saturday, October 18, 2014

KEEP BREATHING


As I lay in bed at night, I often wonder how people make their dreams come true.  Or more to the point, how I can make my dreams come true.  These thoughts are constantly moving through my brain like a train with no destination, only to stop at a dead end and crashing off the rails.  I’ve recently realized that the solution to this is actually quite simple – get out and meet people - a concept which is a part of  my 101 in 1001 challenge.  This in itself might not sound like such a tall order, but for someone who is introverted or shy (like myself), it’s akin to getting a root canal.  My heart begins to race, my palms get sweaty and I literally cannot breathe.  It takes hours, if not days, of choo-choo thinking (I think I can, I think I can) to even get myself mentally prepared.  But I’ve come to the conclusion that if this is what I have to do, then I’m willing to go, full steam ahead, and do it as much as possible.


Truth be told, I’ve never been that much of a risk taker.  I'm a looker, watcher, and waiter...and have been this way since childhood.  You’ll often find me doing things alone, and I don’t mind it.  At all.  However, I discovered that when I talk to people, opportunities arise.  Sometimes you just have to push through your fears, take a deep breath, clear your mind and just do it.


I recently sent out an email to a couple of local photographers that I look up to to see if they wanted to meet up for coffee or lunch and just talk about life.  I honestly didn’t even think they’d respond (I totally understand how busy they are and how waaay out of their league I am, just starting and all), but I was responded to promptly with nothing but love.  I can’t tell you how wonderful it is to feel like you have a sense of community and camaraderie in such a competitive industry.  To feel like you’re not alone.

And because every blog is better with a picture, here's one my niece took of me on our walk last night.



These people would have no idea about me or my work if I didn’t come out of my shell and make myself be seen.  And if I plan on doing this for many years to come, it looks like I’m going to need an abundant supply of brown paper bags ;)


Keep Breathing.

No comments:

Post a Comment