Monday, May 11, 2015

CANADA PHOTO CONVENTION : VANCOUVER

For those of you don't know, CPC, or Canada Photo Convention, is a magical time once a year where photographers from all around the world gather in one hotel for three days and cause havoc in the city of Vancouver.  Whether it be stopping in the middle of the street to get the perfect shot or sending out spontaneous wolf calls to the rest of the pack, we definitely had Vancouver on its toes.

Vancouver, you kicked my butt.  CPC, you made the trip more valuable than I'd ever hoped for.  Where do I even begin...I'm still going through my notes (half a notebook worth to be exact!) and my mind gets more and more overwhelmed each time.  The convention consisted of three consecutive twelve (yes you heard me, TWELVE) hour days, with six different speakers each day.  They each brought a little something special to the learning experience and I am so grateful to each and everyone of them who took time out of their busy schedules to help other like-minded individuals succeed in their business.

However, the most impactful aspect of the convention wasn't the speakers (although Dan O'Day's presentation left me speechless at times, laughing at others and at one time, had the whole crowd crying.  He changed my whole philosophy and way I look at my business, and in a strange way, made me want to be better not only as a business owner, but as a person.  LOVE HIM!) but the connections that happened as a result of the trip.   The events that weren’t in the plan, the conversations that couldn’t have been predicted.   I purposely went by myself, with the sole intention of creating new friendships and connections (which is so not me, and had me wanting to go home and hide under the covers by the first lunch break) and I am so glad I did.  Networking, mixing, and meeting new people for three days straight is a lot of hard work, but I love walking away with new opportunities and friends.  Like Judy, a talented photographer and lovely girl  from Prince George who I always happened to bump into and sit beside throughout the convention (Hi Judy!)




Another connection that was really fun (and actually happened after the convention was over) was with Wyn Wiley of Wyn Wiley Photography  and was one of the first speakers at CPC.  He's the one taking the the group selfie up derr ^^ I had emailed him after the convention and he is seriously one stand up dude.  He genuinely wants everyone to be good and succeed at what they do.  He also loves cats and I hear he has a killer Beyonce.  Love him to bits and can't wait to see him again next year!

Though CPC was three weeks ago, it hasn’t stopped my mind from running over with ideas and projects I want to implement in my business. Thank you to all who said hi, gave hugs, and lent insight and support. Sometimes it overwhelms me how amazing this photography community is and how lucky I am to be a part of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment