Monday, March 16, 2015

TALKING WITH STRANGERS

I was talking with this man yesterday about the new Insurgent movie that's coming out - leave it to me to talk with strangers about YA novels turned movie.  face palm.  After I told him all the details, I looked at him waiting for a response while I tried to catch my breath.   Yes.  I talk THAT fast.  He waited about five seconds and his response was completely unexpected.

His response:

You know, all these kids are growing up thinking that the future is something to be scared about, but I think they're forgetting how much the world has changed and that it's really not as scary as it was even 60 years ago.  Gender equality, same sex marriages; everyone now has the ability to embrace their individuality without being knocked down for who they were born to be.  We're treating everyone as equals - as we should.  People are finally able to express what makes them different and unique and we're are okay with it.  It's actually a beautiful time to be alive.  We shouldn't be afraid of the future, we should embrace it.

Whoa.  I stared at him for a few moments in silence soaking in every last word.  He was right.  We all think about how corrupt the future may be.  But I think it's worthwhile to take a step back, hold hands and look at what we have accomplished.  It really is a beautiful time to be alive.



Shine On,

JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment