Sunday, June 14, 2015

MORE ICE WATER, PLEASE!

Hiiiiiiiii! We both squealed as we ran towards each other, embracing in what was probably the worlds tightest bear hug.  Wait right there, I said as I made my way back to my car, I have something for you.  I reached over the drivers seat to grab what I was looking for and turned around as quickly as I could yelling HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! as I placed a potted pink cactus in her hands.  Her birthday was a couple of weeks ago, but hey, there's never a wrong time for presents, so I thought, what the heck!



I met Adina - the lovely girl behind Wren and Rook Photography - yesterday at Drinkwaters Social House in Port Alberni for lunch and to chat about business...life...and anything else we could think of.  If you don't remember when I talked about it here, but Adina is my little guardian angel.  When I first set out to start in this business, I reached out to local photographers to see if I could work with them - gain some experience in the life of a wedding photographer.  Adina being one of them, took my hand and reeled me in - and right from the beginning, we just *clicked*.  Somehow, beyond my wildest dreams, I was lucky enough to gain a mentor in the process to help me along my first year in business - which brings us to where we are now.  Sitting on a patio.  Basking in the sunshine.  Eating eggs benny.  Just another one of our monthly get-togethers.  How did I ever get to be so lucky?!

We talked about pricing as we sipped our bellinis through short black straws.  Such a tricky and often unspoken aspect in the photography world.  We talked for hours.  litterally.  The waitress had already taken away our plates, brought us about 8 refills of ice water, and the bill, which sat on the table already paid, until we were ready to go.  But I made it through unscathed with tons of helpful insight.  As we made our way to the parking lot to say our goodbyes, we talked (even more!) as we stood on the hot cement for about another thirty minutes until a horsefly bit me on the foot (actually!!!), it was then when we finally decided to say goodbye.  for realz.

As I pulled out of the parking lot, I couldn't help but think of how lucky I am.  Last year I was just a girl, living in her sister's basement, wondering where her life was going.  Now?  My dreams are coming true.  I feel like the luckiest girl alive.  My car came to a stop as I pulled up to the set of lights on the  last turn out of town.  I looked in my rear-view mirror only to see Adina coming up from behind me.  As I turned towards the passenger window to wave goodbye, I seen her blowing me kisses as her jeep drove through the green light.  I couldn't help but think how even luckier I am to have made such a great friend in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment