Wednesday, January 28, 2015

GOODREADS: THE BOOK OF NEGROES

Is there anything better than reading?  No, really.  I don't think there is a better way to clear your mind and relax - besides sleep, I like me a good nap - than a nice big book and a hot cup of tea.  Ever since childhood, reading was an escape; a place where my life was invisible and an environment where a protagonist was everything I wished I could be. Still to this day, I curl up with a good book and it calms the crazy aspects of my life.  I haven't been reading as much books lately as I would like (hence the crazy life), but when I find the time, it's like biting into a freshly ripe, warm summer peach (can you tell I'm missing summer?) and everything is OK again.

Because books are so rad, here's a list of some recent books I've read, fell in love with and rocked my world.




The Book of  Negroes by Lawrence Hill: I loved this book from the very beginning to the very last word.  It begins at the dawn of the nineteenth century when Aminata Diallo - now an old woman - sits down to write her life story at the request of the Abolitionists in London.  Abducted from her village in West Africa at the age of eleven to live as a slave in South Carolina, Aminata manages to survive using her wits, skills as a midwife, ability to pick up new skills quickly, and her strength of character.  

The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigaiani:  I have to admit, I went through phases of loving this book and being more than annoyed with it, but love triumphed- much like anything else.  It's loosely based on Trigiani's grandparents' love story and immigration from Italy and I enjoyed the pleasant read.

Hollow City by Ransom Riggs: I can't help but enjoy reading this series (Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children being the first in the series)  The pictures throughout the book are authentic, vintage  found photographs.  They were lent from the personal archives of collectors, and add a level of beauty and obscurity to the book.  How Riggs finds these photographs and the way he integrates them into his stories, I just find it utterly fascinating. The story itself is great as well, and I wouldn't expect anything less. Fun and entertaining.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak:  Truly a book-lover's book.  Told from Death's point of view - very clever! it tells the story of Liesel, a German foster girl, and her life during World War II.  I loved this book from beginning to end!  Every word was so perfect I felt like I was walking through this dark fairytale of a story. Just brilliant!

I Am Pusheen the Cat by Claire Belton: with my love for cats, along with my even bigger love for Pusheen, it should come with no surprise that I absolutely loved this book.  Much like an actual cat, this book manages to be funny, weird, and lovably adorable all at the same time.  If you love cats as much as I do, heck! even if you don't like cats, you will love Pusheen and the book.  I promise.

Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment